Friday 24 August 2007

"...said the spider to the fly"


Today I found this splendid specimen outside my bedroom window. Overnight it had caught a fly, which it was cocooning in silk prior to digestion. These large garden spiders, called 'Krzyzaki' in Polish on account of the cross on their thoraxes, are prevalent in late summer and into the autumn.

Last night's electrical storm (small pic below) hit Jeziorki hard. At quarter to four I was awoken by a flash of lightning instantly followed by an extremely loud thunderclap.The lightning was bright enough to illuminate my room through the curtains. I jumped out of bed to grab my camera, went for the light switch - nothing. Electricity was out in the house and indeed in all our neighbours' houses. Power was restored to Jeziorki by 10 am.

No comments: