Sunday 15 June 2008

Twilight moods, Jeziorki

It's that time of year, it's that time of day, that magickal, sublime mood brought about by an encroaching dusk. A mood that engenders universal existential awareness. Below: Past, present and future thrown into one as I gaze into that sunset. Click on the image, stare deep into it and meditate.

Right: the colour of a summer sky, half an hour after sunset. The beauty and the temporary sadness. The sun's gone out, but will be back.

This time last year:
The year approaches its zenith

3 comments:

Aphelion said...

Beautiful pictures, I love the colours! Wow! Can't say which one I like best, they're all great...

Anonymous said...

Nice shots indeed, Michael.

I find the colours you can find in the skies here are at times quite magical. That middle shot of yours is typical, with the dark purple broody clouds and the orange strip of sunset below.

I don't know, technically, how this happens but I don't recall similar skies in the UK.

Michael Dembinski said...

The clouds are low, the sun is at an even lower angle. Its rays, shining obliquely through the earth's atmosphere are warmed towards the red end of the spectrum, and as I watched it setting, the red highlighting of the undersides of the clouds. The clouds were drifting in from the northwest; the sun was sinking, as a result, the scene was constantly changing. I took some 15 shots over a four/five minute period of which I chose the most dramatic. I confess to tweaking it a bit in Photoshop (reduce Brightness, increase Contrast, increase Saturation, all by some 5%-6%), to get the pic nearer to the emotional 'feel' I got when experiencing the scene first hand.