Tuesday 11 October 2011

Moaning about the trains, again.

Hey America! England! Canada! Germany! Are you in the least bit interested in the woes of trying to commute to work via Koleje Mazowieckie? [Resounding chorus of "NO!"]

At the risk of alienating the 58% of my readers who don't live in Poland - and indeed the 24% of my Polish readers who don't live in Mazowsze - let me tell you of my commuting woes from these past two days.

Yesterday: I turn up at W-wa Jeziorki station in good time for my train to town. "Bing-bong! The Koleje Mazowieckie train from Radom to Warszawa Wschodnia is running 20 minutes late. The delay time is subject to change [może ulec zmianie]". I toss a mental coin: take the bus to the metro (30 minutes) or wait for the train? Strategy... Magpies and lab rats are good at this kind of thing. Decision taking. I wait for the train. Sure enough, the train arrives, a mere 19 minutes late. Sardines? Anchovies, more like. I manage to board, using a modicum of sharp elbow. The train departs. Two stops up the line, at Okęcie - it breaks down. Terminally. The guard ushers off all the passengers onto a forlorn platform.


Above: "...the 'hound broke down and left the folks stranded in downtown Birmingham..."

More strategy. Turn left, walk a few hundred metres, catch a rare 148 to the airport and a bus from there? Or turn right, walk a few hundred metres, catch a rare 165 to Galeria Motoków (for the best mokoty in town) and a tram from there? I opt for the second option, arriving at the bus stop four minutes after one's departed and 11 minutes before the next one's due [what's 'due' in Polish?] to arrive. No alternative - I walk. And 15 minutes later I reach the tram stop, just missing a number 17 (the one I want). A long wait for the next one. I take a number 18 tram to the Metro, catch that, finally arriving at my meeting with a British company a mere 15 minutes late. (And Poland's keen to court foreign investment with transport infrastructure like this? And Minister Grabarczyk gets to keep his job?)

Today. Turn up at W-wa Powiśle. Westbound trains suspended due to an ambulance being called for a passenger. OK, it happens. So if the suburban trains aren't working - the double deckers that by-pass Powiśle, Śródmieście and Ochota should still be calling at Centralna. They are, the train's on time. But it stops at W-wa Rakowiec for some 20 minutes. No announcement, explanation, apology...

Finally, I arrive back at Jeziorki. Usual dilemma: walk home (12 mins) or wait for bus? There's a 715 due in three minutes. I wait. Three minutes pass, and I can see its lights in the distance. Just as it reaches the level crossing... the barriers descend, right in front of it. We wait. Five minutes. No train. (I can hear a horn in the distance.) Eight minutes... and a slow coal train (40 wagons long) makes its way past the crossing. The last wagon passes. Barriers up? Not a bit of it. Another coal train (this time on the fast, electrified line) makes its way northbound past Jeziorki. Now, had I had this information a quarter of an hour earlier - I'd have walked. Why did the level crossing attendant lower the barriers a full eight minutes before the first train was due? To annoy the bus passengers no doubt.

And another thing. The timetables shown on the internet (rozklad.pkp.pl) bear little relation to those displayed at the station. While at W-wa Centralna, the 19:00 departure was shown on the platform indicator as setting off at 19:07 - it left at 19:00. Chaos, indifference - a system falling apart. Rozkład aptly means 'timetable' as well as 'decay', 'decomposition', 'putrefaction'.

After two days of abysmal service on the trains, should I take the bus and metro? This morning I took the bus (209 from Jeziorki). Once it got to ul Puławska, once it ground down into that near stationary morass of out-of-towners struggling to force their way into the nation's capital, progress was so slow that I jumped off the bus at Bogatki and proceeded on foot to the next stop, Żolny, and re-boarded the same bus. For the hell of it. Just to prove it's faster on foot than being bogged down in a vehicle on Puławska.

So. This is the conundrum facing the million-plus Mazovians who needed to get into the city centre from the outer suburbs and exurbs of Warsaw, and it is a public policy challenge for the city authorities. One easy win would be to paint a bus lane down ul. Puławska and send a conveyor-belt of buses, one after the other, a veritable Red Ball Express. [There's an economic war going on. We need to get workers into and out cities quickly to win it.] And damn the one-per-car short-distance commuter. Especially those jamming up the roads in their black SUVs with darkened rear windows. Po cholerę, Panie?

This time last year:
Warsaw streets - Dolna, Polna, Rolna, Smolna, Wolna. Lost?

This time three years ago:
Ditches, landscapes, autumn

This time four years ago:
Golden autumn, Łazienki Park

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael - have you ever thought of selling up and moving down town. The traffic and overall communications in Warsaw are not going to get better any time this decade. Sell up, buy downtown close to Lazienki and you have the park, shops, theatre and office on your doorstep - just a thought

Michael Dembinski said...

It's certainly an option - one thing I can see is just how sharply property prices have fallen in outer Warsaw compared with the fall in prices for city-centre locations...

Unknown said...

I feel your pain. Although my situation is a lot easier than yours, I'll tell you what really gets me every time. I have no less than three (maybe more) buses that can take me from Rondo Wiatraczna across most Lazienkowski to the centre. (515, 523, and 188). So if the buses come generally at 15-20 minute intervals, it should mean that you should have to wait no longer than 7 or so minutes to get one of the three, right? Wrong. All three come at once. Almost every time. Miss the convoy of buses? Wait another 20 minutes.

student SGH said...

I last went to town in mid-September. Up and back from Jeziorki, as I don't have a suburban zone ticket. The only thing I miss about these journeys is seeing progress of Elka construction (I have to fall back on photos from Skyscrapercity forum), apart from this there's nothing to regret. Walking to and from the station is nice, journey doesn't last that very long, but over-crowded, overheated (that's much worse for me) trains running late and stopping before one-track section near Warszawa Służewiec are not what really takes my fancy. Once you admitted when the weather gets inclement one appreciates merits of one's own car. And today again I made it from Metro Wilanowska to home in 25 minutes, without driving fast in a drizzle.

Try setting off to town earlier. Around 7 a.m. Puławska's not badly jammed (several hundred metres driven on 2nd gear without stopping), Targeo traffic shows nightmare begins around 7:30 and just after eight traffic is indeed stationary. And after 18:00 it's again more than bearable.

Of course I don't want to encourage anyone to get into town by car. More poeple should give up their cars...

student SGH said...

edit: I went to town by train...

Wilkbury said...

Michael,
moving down town is not a good option IMHO. Is it worth to sacrifice the peace and beauty of the landscape for the concrete jungle? My answer is no.

P.S. Is your bike is broken?

Michael Dembinski said...

@Wilkbury

All about balance... luxury apartment overlooking city centre parkland would be very nice!

Bike not broken - cycled in today :)

@ Bartek (the banker formerly known as 'Student' :))

It gave me such pleasure to cycle through the stationary traffic between Karczunkowska and Bogatki this morning, 8:00 am!

Wojtek z Brukseli said...

Michael,

Maybe it would make sense to drive to one of the metro stations in Ursynów/Natolin and continue your journey by metro?

All the best,

Wojtek

Michael Dembinski said...

@ Wojtek z Brukseli

I use the Park & Ride at Ursynów every now and then. The problem is getting there. It can take 30-40 minutes in peak times to drive there from home. Ursynów is like an sack, closed off from the south-east, south and south-west by the Las Kabacki. To get in by car from the south-west, there's no alternative to driving up Puławska as far as Płaskowickiej.

The stretch from Karczunkowska to Płaskowieckiej is virtually immobile during the morning peak.

DC said...

Problem solved. Just go out and paint your own bus lane.

http://tinyurl.com/3bstjsy

student SGH said...

What a subtle tingle of malice ;) Do you know a Polish concept of wieczny student. I've graduated, but here, in the blogosphere I'm stay on as the Student...

At 8:00 a.m. I was toiling away at work. I know how heavy traffic around that time is and choose to get up earlier and depart earlier. It never takes me more than 35 minutes to get to Metro Wilanowska which is further north than Metro Ursynów from NI which is further south than Jeziorki. And believe me I don't drive like a road, my calmness even annoys other drivers in haste. It gave me such pleasure to drive 10 kmph at steady speed (no feet on pedals) while others would pull out and stop several times and wind hasty drivers up :)

Over, no point it outbidding one another - cycling keeps one fit, I use public transport every day and appreciate the merits of it, distances covered by trams, trains, buses and underground are in my case longer than those covered by car anyway.