Friday 11 September 2015

September song

"But the days grow short when you reach September..." Hang on - there's plenty of sunshine left in the year yet - there will be a golden autumn, though the rain clouds pass and the temperature drops.

Left: view east from my office, with the iconic PAST-a building - scene of some of the most hard-fought battles of the Warsaw Uprising - to the left. Heavy rainclouds hang pregnant over the city. The heat waves of August are a distant memory.

Below: view south from my office, looking at the Ściana Wschodnia ('Eastern Wall') development along ul. Marszałkowska, stretching from ul. Świętokrzyska to Rondo Dmowskiego in the distance. It's wet outside, though there is the prospect that the dark clouds will go scudding by and more clement weather will approach from the west.

It will soon be dark when I get home from work - and by the end of October it will be dark when I leave the office. Below: Corner of ul. Puławska and ul. Karczunkowska. It's been raining all day and the drains can't cope with the volume of water.


But the westerly wind blows the clouds away, and a glorious sunset is on the cards. Below: looking west along ul. Karczunkowska.


I need my exercise - time to do several laps around the pond on ul. Pozytywki, below. One lap = 580 paces; nine laps ensures that I'll reach my target of 10,000 paces for the day if I include my total walking for the day so far and the short walk home.


Below: a quiet end to a September day, the ducks and gulls dotting the pond as though it were a seaside harbour.


This time last year:
Putin will not heal Russia's tortured soul

This time two years ago:
A traveller's tale (reading this shows how fast Poland has progressed in transport infrastructure over the past 24 months!)

This time three years ago:
One for the record - hot September day (30C)

This time four years ago:
The half-closed airport

This time six years ago:
Last of the summer bike rides to work?

This time seven years ago:
My own Polish Adlestrop

This time eight years ago:
Laurie Anderson's chillingly prescient 'O Superman'

No comments: